About Switzerland for UNHCR, the Swiss Foundation for UNHCR
UNHCR, the United Nations Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting the rights of refugees and building a better future for the millions of people forced to flee their homes.
Since 1950, UNHCR has responded to multiple crises on different continents and has provided vital assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced and stateless people, many of whom have nowhere else to turn. Its work was aimed at ensuring their rights, protection and assistance, preserving their dignity and well-being.
UNHCR has set up a foundation under Swiss law, headquartered in Geneva, which shall:
• Raise funds from individuals, from the private sector as well as from the cantons and communes in Switzerland and Liechtenstein in support to UNHCR's protection and assistance programmes worldwide
• Raise awareness within civil society in Switzerland and Liechtenstein about the situation and needs of refugees and those forced to flee
• Engage in advocacy and activities for refugees and persons of concern for UNHCR, through media and social media campaigns, public speaking and the commissioning of research in order to facilitate civic engagement and fundraising.
The Foundation is currently looking for its Individual Giving (IG) Manager to develop Individual Giving fundraising activities.
In the newly constituted team, this position reports and is under the responsibility of the Foundation Director. This role manages Individual Giving (IG) fundraising activities in Switzerland, to acquire new donors, retain and grow the individual donor file and to reactivate lapsed donors. Key business areas also include fundraising from individuals in emergencies and promote planned giving/legacy marketing.
The selected candidate must be able to build a strategy for mass IG fundraising on-line and off-line with a proper segmentation, develop tools, initiate and test in order to ensure the implementation of the annual plan. The IG manager builds up and manages a small team of expert IG fundraising while also formulating innovative proposals and a vision with regard to the global fundraising strategy.
With a specific focus on revenue generation, the Manager, Individual Giving is accountable for activities and revenue team targets for one-time and regular gifts/donors.
He/she ensures that a proper image of UNHCR is conveyed to the various target audiences and create a privileged link between them and the Switzerland for UNHCR Foundation.
The role requires collaboration with multiple teams and departments within the Foundation and national and international offices of UNHCR
Strategic planning and budgeting
• Work closely with Director and senior leadership to create and implement an individual mass IG fundraising strategy and development plans that align with the UNHCR global strategic growth plan, business model, and core values.
• Prepare the annual fundraising plan, budget, and revenue and expenses forecasts. Monitor them with relevant KPIs and ensure their successful execution.
• Provide relevant multi-year projections
• Manage all aspects of solicitations for One-time-Givers and Regular Givers, as set out in the annual plan. This includes, but is not restricted to:
- Developing and improving prospect and donor experiences to build engagement and loyalty (donor journey)
- Developing Multi-channel campaigns including Direct Mail, Email, Social Media, Website updates, telemarketing, F2F...
- Launching Urgent appeals in the event of emergency.
- Identifying opportunities for testing and innovation intended to maximize campaign and
- Manage the development of the Tribute Gifts offer (In memoriam, birthday...) and peer-to-peer fundraising platforms
- Promote planned-giving and legacies
- Develop a high performing Donor Service
- Ensure data quality and integrity
- Ensure optimal operation of the CRM and other related systems
•Maintain a working knowledge of significant facts and situations of “people forced to flee” and of issues and trends affecting nonprofits
•Monitor the market with a fundraising benchmarking and insights gathering on donors’ needs and behaviors.
Team and external relations management
• Provide leadership, strategy, and participative management, and create an environment of respect, accountability, motivation, professional growth, high productivity and teamwork
• Recruit, manage and guide the IG team members working on all day to day activities. Grow skills and capacities of individuals and of the team.
• Manage relationships with key external vendors. This will include developing project briefs, ongoing communication throughout the campaign and appropriate follow-up at campaign end, as well as ongoing communication to ensure strong relationships.
• Work closely with other business units within the Foundation and UNHCR to identify opportunities for efficiencies, innovation, integration or collaboration.
• Cultivate organizational understanding that fund development and philanthropy are critical to our mission and organizational health.
Data analysis, reporting and expense management
• Manage budget for activity, including maintaining weekly status updates on key areas of the program and detailed monthly financial spreadsheets and forecasting.
• Provide ongoing reporting and analysis for each program/fundraising activity and take corrective action where necessary to optimize revenue/expense ratio. Use findings to drive recommendations and decision-making going forward.
• Work with data management colleagues to report on file size by segment, to analyze data and develop appropriate reporting tools, to better define campaigns, code them and improve their performances.
• Oversee the reconciliation of all income and expenses to budget and financial reports.
• Report on earmarked gift to ensure accurate gift/appeal allocation
The ideal candidate is a passionate, results-oriented individual, capable of building and growing resources for an organization with great expansion potential. It will be an experienced front-line development professional with a strong knowledge of and track record in broad-based individual fundraising and engagement best practices.
• A master’s degree in Marketing, Fundraising or related field
• A minimum of eight (8) plus years of relevant work experience in a direct marketing or fundraising role
• Proven track record of planning and executing successful Direct Marketing campaigns with tracked ROI, growing reach, performances and revenue from individuals
• Ability to be results-driven and deadline-oriented with follow through on timelines
• Strong project management skills with high attention to detail and ability to multi-task
• Self-motivated and inspirational problem solver
• Demonstrated ability to build a team, influence, educate and engage colleagues and work effectively with senior leaders with diverse perspectives
• Ability to be entrepreneurial, flexible, and a collaborative team player who believes in proactive and transparent communication
• Solid understanding of figures, metrics, analysis for effective fundraising
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
• Experience managing external agency partners to deliver programs
• Knowledge of the philanthropy Swiss landscape
• Knowledge of and interest in the work and mission of UNHCR
• Experience working with multilingual programs. Spoken and written English, French and Swiss German skills are required.
Other experiences as a plus:
• Experience working for an International non-for-profit agency/organization
• Experience with Salesforce CRM
Contract Type: Permanent and full-time position
Place of work: Geneva
Starting date: August 2020